We’re on to year three of yearly lessons and goals. It’s been a fun practice to reflect on the past year and look forward with anticipation at the coming months.
For those tuning in for the first time, for the last two years I’ve made a list (as long as my age) with simple goals, lessons, facts, and other randomness that I have experienced and am looking forward to in the next year. It ranges from serious to ridiculous, while also covering everything in between.
2017 was a year of progress and learning and rooting myself in the community I’ve cultivated here and more importantly in Him. It’s been a wild ride that makes me excited for the year to come.
Here are 26 things I learned/experienced in 2017:
- Canada is really cold. San Diego’s sunshine and warm temperatures are taken for granted. Never again.
- A lot can change in a year. Wow.
- Sometimes distance and boundaries are the necessary solution. And sometimes that leads to more redemption than you ever thought possible.
- Coffee is still one of my love languages.
- So is sarcasm. Although, it may be worse now than ever.
- I still crave travel and discovering new places, but I’m just as content being here in the place that I love.
- There’s just something about those Friday night lights above a football field that makes you nostalgic all over again.
- Watching people do what they love is the best feeling in the world.
- The ocean isn’t as intimidating as I once thought. But let’s be honest, it’s still a little terrifying.
- Speaking of, I swam in the Pacific Ocean for the first time this year. There’s no going back.
- Grounding yourself with a walk in the sand is just about the best medicine for anything and everything.
- Friends you can laugh hysterically with (even if you’re laughing at yourself) are the best friends you could dream of having.
- You’ll even learn to forgive those friends for introducing you as “the Canadian” before ever sharing your name.
- But you’ll still roll your eyes and pop them in the arm. Everytime.
- The best conversations still happen in the kitchen or the car.
- I never IN MY LIFE thought I would want a dog as much as I do right now.
- But Ralphie will work just fine for now. Is it possible to miss him even though I saw him 12 hours ago?
- Burgers. I think they’ll always be my favorite food.
- Also tequila. Because duh.
- A list of 26 things is really long.
- Fresh off the vine passionfruit is THE BEST thing ever. I can’t even begin to count how many I ate. Is it passionfruit season yet?
- Keeping routines new and exciting is necessary for survival. Boredom = laziness.
- The Bachelor/Bachelorette is still just as entertaining 15 years later.
- Learning to be content in the moment is an ever-evolving lesson that I’m still trying to conquer.
- How many books is too many books? 5 million? Perfect. I’m not there yet.
- San Diego is home. And I’m so thankful for that.